The New Philadelphia Friends of the Library are hosting their annual Garden Tour fundraiser on Saturday, July 9th from 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM. Tickets for the self-guided tour, which includes seven gardens in and around Tuscarawas County, are now on sale at all County Library locations.
“This year’s tour will focus on gardens in the Sugarcreek area.” said Friends President Candy Beaber. “Since last fall we have been working closely with garden and library enthusiasts in the community to provide another enjoyable day for a great cause.”
Beaber said the proceeds from the Garden Tour will benefit the Tuscarawas County Library Foundation. Last year’s garden tour raised more than $2,000 for the library foundation.
“It is so appropriate that this fundraiser is centered on gardening,” said Library Director Michelle McMorrow Ramsell. “Gardening involves planting things to harvest in the future, and that, in essence, is the very purpose of the library’s foundation.”
Ramsell said the Library Foundation provides a vessel for the library to receive gifts and, with investment and growth, it will benefit the Tuscarawas County Public Library System and its customers for years to come.
The self-guided tour will showcase gardens in and around Tuscarawas County including a variety of garden types and plants, from wildflowers to edible, and beyond. Gardens on the tour include:
- A Simpler Thyme — Located in Fresno, you will find numerous raised garden beds containing herbs, flowers, and vegetables on this small hobby farm cared for by a Certified Master Herbalist.
- Edelweiss Ridge — Drive through the woods to this secluded home to see beautiful views of Sugarcreek’s wildflower meadows. Enjoy the free roaming animals on the property as you explore the straw bale gardens.
- Nostalgic Gardens — The flower gardens around this historic home in Ragersville follow the properties iron fencing and surround the house. Guests can view a variety of annuals and perennials including hydrangeas, roses, zinnias, and more.
- Pondview Gardens — Follow the stone walkways around this Fresno hillside property to look at the 500 varieties of daylilies mixed with hostas, oriental and asiatic lilies. Rock accent borders and additional perennials complete the beautiful landscaping.
- Sons Field Farm — View the abundance of annuals, perennials, and vegetables at this garden oasis in Ragersville. The edible landscape includes berry bushes, grape arbor, fruit trees, and more.
- Sweetwater Farm — Enjoy this garden centered around production for the family’s farm market in Sugarcreek. Guests can walk through the rows and see what flowers are blooming and vegetables are producing.
- Water Lotus Garden — This exquisite roadside property in Ragersville features an array of sculptures nestled in the landscaping. Enjoy the calming sounds of water from the ponds and waterfalls while relaxing in the pavilion or gazebos.
Tickets are available to purchase and pickup during normal business hours at the Main Library in New Philadelphia as well as the Library’s four branches in Bolivar, Strasburg, Sugarcreek, and Tuscarawas. Tickets cost $15 and may be purchased by cash or check made out to the Friends of the Library – NP.
In the event of rain, the tour will be held on Sunday, July 10th from 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM. For more information on the tour call 330-364-4474 ext. 221.