List Choice: Step Back Into Your Childhood
If you are anything like me then you like to occasionally watch a childhood classic that brings back feelings of nostalgia that the 1980s and 1990s provided us! A time when Saturday mornings were for cartoons, we would rent VHS tapes, and we had the simplicity of childhood. On Hoopla you can rent a variety of childhood classics (movies and television series) with your library card! Here are my top 10 picks:
- All Dogs Go To Heaven (1989)- Charlie, a dog that was murdered, sneaks back to Earth from Heaven and befriends an orphan girl who can speak to animals. We follow his journey as he learns the true meaning of friendship. A darker children’s animated classic that only Don Bluth could create!
- All That Season 3 (1996)- One of my favorite Nickelodeon shows from the 1990s! We see skits performed by Kenan & Kel at the “Good Burger”, Amanda Bynes in “Ask Ashley”, and Lori Beth Denberg in “Loud Librarian” along with many other skits that I am sure amused you growing up!
- Are You Afraid of the Dark? Season 3 (1992)- One of the creepier shows that Nickelodeon provided viewers! We all remember the tales that the “Midnight Society” created to haunt us even to this day. One of the best the 90s had to offer!
- Arthur (1996)- A beloved television show from the 1990s based on the books by Marc Brown, Arthur and friends were there to show us how to be good friends to one another with valuable lessons along the way!
- Brace Face Seasons 1-3 (2001)- Watch as 8th grader Sharon Spitz works her way through preteen problems and the quirky glitches that her braces get her into. A show that displays tween life of the early 2000s!
- Courage the Cowardly Dog Season 1 (1999)- An unsettling but captivating cartoon that Cartoon Network had viewers hooked on! Watch as Courage, a fearful dog, and owners Eustace and Muriel get themselves in a series of very strange predicaments.
- Dexter’s Laboratory Seasons 1-3 (1995)- A much-loved series of the 1990s that Cartoon Network aired! Watch the adventures of Dexter, a boy genius, and his troublesome sister Dee Dee.
- Inspector Gadget Seasons 1&2 (1983)- 1980s cartoon nostalgia at it’s finest! Inspector Gadget is a bionic police inspector that stumbles about on his cases as his niece and nephew do the real detective work.
- The Magic School Bus Vol. 1-4 (1994)- Educational, amusing, and treasured to many! The series follows an eccentric teacher, Ms. Frizzle, as she takes her classroom on field trips with the aid of her magical school bus.
- The Secret of N.I.M.H. (1982)- Don Bluth’s directional debut, watch as a field mouse Mrs. Brisby seeks the assistance from a colony of rats with increased intelligence from a science experiment to help her ill son. A highly reviewed dark fantasy animated film from the 1980s!