The Tuscarawas County Public Library System’s Board of Trustees is looking for a civic-minded, motivated individual to participate in the continued growth of the library. Interested candidates should have a strong interest in serving on an active board with members who represent communities across the county—New Philadelphia, Bolivar/Lawrence Twp, Strasburg, Sugarcreek, and Tuscarawas/Warwick Twp. The library is one public institution that serves every member of a community. It requires time and energy, but is also a rewarding experience.
Tuscarawas County Public Library Board
Current Open Seat: filling an unexpired term, representing the Strasburg area, ending 5/31/2018 –
This position is a Commissioner appointment.
This trustee position is for an individual with the willingness to use his/her skills for guiding the library into the future. It includes working closely with the Library Director and dedicating time to learn about library funding, policies, and planning. Board members participate in establishing and supporting policies, developing long-range plans, monitoring the library’s budget, and staying on top of funding resources.
The library board is accountable to the public to see that the library is operated in an efficient and a productive manner. The library is operated under the administrative guidance of the Director who is hired by the board. Hiring an able Director is one of the most important duties of the board. The Director interprets the policies of the board to assure that the needs and expectations of the taxpayers, the customers, the employees, and the budget commission are being met in the best way possible. Board members are also advocates for the library within their service areas and make a valuable contribution to the community.
• Hire and evaluate the Library Director, Fiscal Officer, and Deputy Fiscal Officer
• Work with the Library Director to establish policy and to support those policies
• Work with the Library Director to develop long range plans that meet community needs
• Approve the library’s annual budget
• Review monthly financial reports to ensure accountability to budgetary goals
• Learn and advocate for funding necessary to meet the needs of the library
• Attend a minimum of nine of the twelve board meetings
• Be prepared for meetings by reviewing all materials for agenda items
• Participate in discussions of agenda items
• Serve on committees as assigned by the Board President
• Represent the Library at community events—be visible and accessible to those you represent
• Become informed about library issues and about state laws that govern public libraries
• Ability to participate and work cooperatively with others
• Strong interest in the library continuing to be a valuable resource to the community
• Skills in management, planning, marketing, finance, and law are welcome additions to the board
• Knowledge of public funding, levies, and service on other boards is a plus
• Willingness to serve your community in a positive way required
Individuals with additional questions are encouraged to contact the library’s director, Michelle McMorrow Ramsell, at 330/364-4474 ext. 237.
Applicants are asked to forward a letter of interest and resume of qualifications to Board President Mary Burns, in care of the Tuscarawas County Public Library, 121 Fair Avenue NW, New Philadelphia, Ohio 44663.